Employing someone for a day

Hi! I run a small graphic design and printing boutique and I want to take someone on for literally one day to help me at a trade show. This person already has a part time job, is a university student and isn’t self employed. Do I need to get Employers Liability insurance for the single day and do I also need to set up a PAYE system, and get something tax and NI set up too? 

263 viewsemployment law

Alasdair Taylor's Answer

The person you describe would almost certainly be a part-time or casual employee, and he / she is likely to have all of the various rights and entitlements associated with that. Specialist advice should be sought, but my expectation is that you would need to have in place both liability insurance and also arrange for PAYE to be applied. I would not expect the cost of doing so to be prohibitive, and these are areas where you need to be very sure of your ground given the issues that could arise.

Ask a question

Question in one sentence
Select a topic that best fits your question.

Search questions


Using this legal Q&A, users can get guidance on business-related legal questions from our legal experts.

The guidance is not legal advice; no lawyer-client or similar relationship is created by the Q&A.

By using the Q&A, you agree to the limitations and exclusions of liability set out in our terms and conditions.

SEQ Legal
Copyright © 2022 Docular Limited | All rights reserved