Prohibitions from setting up business as an anti-libel & anti-slander etc protective adviser?

My tortuous experiences in finding a lawyer specialising in publishing law to ensure my manuscript is free of libellous, slanderous, and defamatory content convince me that opportunities for such services deliveries exist.  I am neither a solicitor nor a barrister; can I start such a business in the UK?  I am a Chartered Engineer.  Please advise.

2.48K viewsdefamation law

Alasdair Taylor's Answer

This isn’t “reserved business”.  Accordingly, under the laws of England and Wales you don’t need to be a solicitor or barrister to provide this kind of advice.

One issue you would be likely to face, however, is that your advice would not be protected by legal professional privilege (LPP).  In other words, it would be potentially disclosable in litigation.

The protection afforded by LPP is very important to some clients, especially those with any level of legal sophistication, and it may be unwise to provide advice to any client without making clear the status of the advice from the outset.

For background on LPP, see this guide from Pinsent Masons:

Ask a question

Question in one sentence
Select a topic that best fits your question.

Search questions


Using this legal Q&A, users can get guidance on business-related legal questions from our legal experts.

The guidance is not legal advice; no lawyer-client or similar relationship is created by the Q&A.

By using the Q&A, you agree to the limitations and exclusions of liability set out in our terms and conditions.

SEQ Legal
Copyright © 2023 Docular Limited | All rights reserved