Theft, incomplete work, and no receipt

I had some work done on a car. Items were stolen and the work was not completed. Also, they will not give me a receipt.

Alasdair Taylor's answer to Theft, incomplete work, and no receipt (1531368369)

Theft is a matter for the police. The civil law equivalent is the tort of conversion.

If the work was incomplete, this may give you a right to claim for breach of contract.

As regards a documentation, they will have a legal obligation to provide a VAT invoice in the proper form if both you and they are registered for VAT. There is however no general obligation to provide receipts in English law.